THE ALBION HOTEL

2nd Avenue and Boardwalk

The Albion Hotel that stood in the later twentieth century replaced an earlier structure destroyed by fire in 1940. The public's fear of fire prompted advertising materials and postcards to call out the "completely fireproof" nature of the new building.

The Albion Hotel's modernistic furnishings included murals and fixtures from the 1939-1940 World's Fair. The Rainbow Room at the Albion Hotel was truly a most popular night spot of the time.

The Albion Hotel closed for business in the late 1980s. There was interest in restoring and reopening the hotel, but the hallways were too narrow to meet modern building codes. It was demolished in 2001. The Rainbow Room sign was salvaged from the demolition, and in 2011 it was restored and now hangs in the Transportation Center next to City Hall.